Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Easy Holiday Favorites (WFMW)


Okay, so tommorrow's the big feasting day (Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!) so for *my* works-for-me Wednesday post, I want to share an oh-so-easy recipe for cranberry sauce. Well...its not so much a *recipe* as it is *instructions* ...but, I promise, if you try this once, you will never want cranberries-in-a-can ever again!!

(Grandma's homemade cranberry sauce)
First, rinse your cranberries; remove any that are bruised or rotten.
Pour the cranberries in a pot, and add 1 cup of sugar for every bag of berries (I usually do 2 bags: 1 3/4 c. sugar, but I like mine a bit tart)
Add just enough water to cover the berries, then simmer on stovetop until berries "pop" (about 40 minutes??) *this is a good time to "taste", and add more sugar, if desired, just be sure it all disolves.; remove from heat and "mash" with a potato-masher (leave it 'chucky' tho; you don't want "jelly") and allow to cool; berries will thicken.
Add 1 cup chopped walnuts (or not!) and one can mandarin oranges, drained. (again, you can omit these as well, but I highly recommend them.). Transfer to bowl, Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Oh....and one more of my favorite quick-and-easy and oh! So good! holiday favorites:

(Grandma's Sunshine Salad)
Combine 1 med. size can of (drained) pineapple chunks, 2 small cans (drained) mandarin orange slices,1/2 jar (5oz.) maraschino cherries (drained & halved), 2 cups mini marshmellows, 1/2 cup crushed walnuts, 1/2 cup shredded coconut and 1 cup of sour cream. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate several hours before serving.

mmmm...these recipes "work for me"; go on over to Rocks in my Dryer for lots of other great ideas & tips...see what works for YOU!!

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone!!

No comments: