Wednesday, April 01, 2009

WFMW: Backwards Edition


Well, it's been a while since I've participated in Works-For-Me Wednesday (ok, technically, it's only been a couple of months, but it's been long enough that WFMW has a new home - see the new addy on the header, there? That's right, Rocks in My Dryer has passed the blogger baton on to We Are THAT Family, who is hosting this weekly carnival, now. It's still the same great concept, with all the weekly hints and tips we all luv...just at a new home.) This week, tho, is a special, 'backwards' edition, where all the participants get to pose their own dilemmas, and ask the readers "What Works for *You*?" So, what better time to jump back in the fray?! Which brings me to my question;


How and where do you store your plastic kitchenware?


I'm not talking, really, about plastic cutlery or plates and cups, as I don't really use any of those items; what I'm speaking of is all of your 'tupperware'-like storage containers and all the little lids that go with them! I *used* to keep them in the pantry, but I got tired of them cluttering up the few shelves I have, and they were constantly being dropped, or falling on your head when you went to retrieve one. I have since relegated them to a lower drawer of my cabinets (along with all my stove pot lids), but *that* then, becomes a literal pain-in-the-back, when you have to bend down, pull the drawer ALLLLLL the way out, then sort through the "stacks" for the right size - don't forget the lid! It works - don't get me wrong - but I'm looking for a better way when I ask "What works for YOU? Do you keep them in a drawer? In a cabinet? stacked? tossed in a room, haphazardly? WHAT?? Inquiring minds wanna know!!

Got a question of your own to pose? Be sure to head on over to We Are THAT Family...who knows? You might even get the answer you've been looking for!

9 comments:

Kim said...

When I first moved in and was organized...I assigned an entire two door cabinet to tupperware-like items. I placed two dollar store baskets on each shelf and had everything nice and neat. Lids in one basket, lil containers in another etc...

That didn't last too long - now it is complete chaos and I have to dive to find the right lid for the right container.

Tupperware is unruly...it will not be held down.

Give up and embrace the chaos :)

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I used to have a drawer of doom (or cabinet of doom, depending on which house we lived in.)

A few months ago, I cleared it all out, saved only the ones with lids, and put them in an upper cabinet at eye level. I only have a few OF THE SAME KIND (Ziploc squares and rounds). I bought one of those undershelf baskets, and stack the containers in that with the lids directly underneath on the shelf.

Problem solved! I ended up moving the dishes to the pantry, but that makes it easier for the kids to unload the dishwasher.

Larissa Smith said...

I have had two different solutions to this problem. Currently, I use one drawer and stack the actual containers at the front, and stack the lids in the back. It goes without saying that I only keep the ones with a lid. In the past, I used a milk-type crate in a cabinet for the containers and kept the lids in the drawer above it. Although at one point with the milk crate, I actually stored all the containers with their lids on them, but then I got too many for that to fit anymore. The key is to have something with sides so it's a toss/grab thing rather than a stack/fall thing.

Ali said...

I did! I know, the baskets were just too cute, the one is made out of birch bark and pussy willow! So cool!

I don't really have any advice about the plastic storage containers, I HATE them so I think I only have like 2 left. I keep getting disgusted with them and throw them out! lol! I can never get them clean enough (no dishwasher) and for some reason, they just hold onto grease like no body's business!

Mo said...

Hey all! Thanks for stoppin' by.

I do believe you're right, Larissa; it has to be a toss/grab thing and not a stack/fall thing; And, maybe Milehimama also has a good point - use all the SAME kind of containers. I'm prob'ly gonna stick with Kim's advice tho, and just embrace the chaos! LoL...Or, maybe Ali holds the key by just chuckin' 'em all!!

Anyway...thanks for all the great suggestions, do come back;

And, Have a great weekend ahead...

Sue said...

I still have them in the pantry and they fall out every time I open the door. My biggest complaint is they keep changing the size just a tiny bit so I have to search to find tops that fit the containers.

Louise said...

For me, the key was to toss all the mismatched containers and choose a brand where all the lids are the same size. That way, it doesn't matter what container I grab, the lids fit.

It was really hard to throw away years of accumulated containers, but after I switched, I've never had a storage problem. Maybe that would work for you.

Mo said...

Yes! Sue....I couldn't agree more; Maybe you're right, Louise...just gotta start over...that's Ali's advice too...let's see that's two for "chuck what I have", three for "all the same size", one "don't stack, but containerize" and one "embrace the chaos"!! LoL....sounds like a three-step zen solution to me!

Thanks again for stoppin' in with your helpful words!!Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Jerralea said...

Hey, I know I'm late, but couldn't resist adding my 2¢ worth. I always put the lids back on the containers when I take them out of the dishwasher. I know it takes more space, but I feel it's worth it not to have to search for lids!