Monday, February 16, 2009

February's Bloomin'


well, if there's anything good about the cold snap we recently experienced at the beach it's that it prompted the camellias to bloom and blossom! Camellias are evergreen shrubs that bloom anywhere from November to March around here, and they belong to the Tea family of plants. As you can see in the photo above, my white bush hasn't flowered yet, but my pink ones have!

(I believe both my bushes are of the 'simple' semi-double classification, meaning that all stamens are central, and there are 7 or more petals)



Whenever evil befalls us, we ought to ask ourselves, after the first suffering, how we can turn it into good. So shall we take occasion, from one bitter root, to raise perhaps many flowers. ~ Leigh Hunt


To find more beautiful blooms, or to post an entry of your own, visit Today's Flowers

2 comments:

Arija said...

Nothing like having an array of plants with a succession of flowering times, like Acacias which, judiciously planted, will flower all year round. You must have good acid soil to have such healthy Camellias.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

I really like Camellias, but they're one zone off from SE Michigan, so I must make due with azaleas, and even those can be tricky here. On a trip to England some ten years ago (waaah! I want to go back!), I was so excited to see Camellias everywhere, but didn't know what they were. I finally asked a passerby who thought me addled as though I were asking about tulips or dandelions. The same thing happened in San Francisco with eucalyptus trees! :)