Thursday, February 26, 2009

Garden Talk in February

Well, here we are at the end of another month, and I have yet to turn a bed, nor transplant a bush this year! To be fair, we have had some very unseasonably cold weather here at the beach this winter, and it is just now starting to warm up enough to want to be outside (or, to feel safe in leaving the tropicals there without protection!).

It's too late, I think, to transplant my camellias (they suggest we do that here no later than mid-Feb.), but they seem to like it where they are, anyway. The problem is that we have an Elephant's Ear and a patch of ginger in that same location, and when spring finally does arrive, I'm afraid they get crowded. *Something* has to be moved, that's certain. Now's the time to prune all the leafless trees and shrubs, and to plant any fruit trees you have planned for the landscape, as well.

Now's also the time to rake the yard, and till the gardens, and all that wicked wonderful prep work I so hate abhor can't wait until it's finished!

Annuals we can plant now include baby's breath, cone flowers, dusty miller, daisies, hollyhocks, petunias, and snapdragons. Plant regional bulbs like amaryllis and calla lilies.
Veggies that can go in the garden this month: broccoli, cabbage, kale, lettuce, onions, potatoes, radishes and turnips.

I guess I really DO need to get busy, huh?!

No comments: